Friday, April 24, 2009

The Dead Bird


As Melissa and I walked up the driveway, Melissa stopped dead in her tracks, her hand flew up to her mouth and she whispered, "Mom, that bird is dead". She put her hands on her hips, sighed and went to find Grandma to bury the thing.  Grandma shoveled the dead bird into a paper bag and handed it to Melissa, and she had no problem holding it. 
It was a really rainy day so the ground was very easy to dig, so Grandma is digging away and came across a HUGE nightcrawler. Keep in mind, Melissa is holding a dead bird with no problem.  Grandma picks the worm up with the shovel to show her and she FREAKS!!! She was holding a dead bird, but terrified of a worm! What a nerd!
As they finished, I was kind of chuckling because she stood there with this very solemn look on her face, like she lost her best friend. I asked her what she thought and she just bowed her head and said, "Poor bird." We were going to leave it at that, but she insisted that it needed a stone, so she stuck a straw with the lid on it.  As we walked in, she kept her head down and kept saying, "Poor bird, I'm really going to miss him." 
She cracks me up! I was thinking that it served it right for pooping so much on my car, but Melissa felt sorry for it, so I had to pretend. I love little children's empathy...I can learn so much from her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! She is quite the character!

Mike said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls my kids nerds.