Monday, June 28, 2010

Relay for Life





I did it...I didn't think it would ever get here and I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but I did it. There were many obstacles that I had to overcome, and it was hard. We did the Relay for Life to honor those living with cancer and to honor those whose lives were lost because of cancer. Our team raised $305 and I am so happy with that! Our team name was Superheroes United, the theme was birthdays and we decorated our little camp in superhero birthday stuff...it was a lot of fun! We walked all night, raised lots of money and altogether the Nampa Relay for Life earned $45,000 for cancer research...I couldn't be happier. Dad was honored as a survivor that night, he walked his lap and walked one with mom as his caregiver. We honored those names that we submitted in luminaria bags. They were lit up and their names were read. It was very emotional and healing to be able to think about them and honor them in some way. We were supposed to do the dove release in the evening, but because of weather, we had to wait until morning.  I'm so glad we waited. It was such an amazing experience to be able to let go of that bird in Joe's memory. This will always be one of my favorite pictures after everything we went through to get there. I will always be grateful that I was able to contribute in some way to prevent someone from being lost to this disease.

No comments: